I’m so lucky to be participating in a blog hop with other therapy bloggers about our favorite summer toys! Along with that we are offering a giveaway for a $50 Amazon gift card so you can go buy some great summer toys!
My Favorite Summer Toy
My favorite summer toy is the pool noodle! This toy is awesome to use year round, however it’s easiest to find them in the summer. When they came out this Spring I rushed to pick up a few…okay maybe eight that I could use with my baby and stock up on for the upcoming school year.
The reason pool noodle are my favorite toys.
- They are cheap. I love any toy that you can buy for under five dollars that has more than one purpose.
- They are versatile. There are so many different activities that pool noodles can be used for, not just in the pool.
- More than a toy. Yes I have used pool noodles for other purposes besides play!
Here are some fun ways that you can utilize pool noodles for play this summer and beyond!
- Stringing – Cut the noodle up and have the kiddos string it for great fine motor play. I’ve even seen some people use it as decoration!
- A slide or chute – Cut the noodle in half to drop objects down as a slide or keep it whole and watch them go through! Great fine motor play! Make it a game and incorporate climbing and squatting for gross motor play!
- Cut up for stacking – This one is fun for the little ones. A pool noodle can be used as blocks for stacking or knocking down. Great for visual perception and fine motor play.
- Sensory Play – Cut them small and stick them in a kiddy pool or sensory table and let the kids play!
- Bath Toy – Use the cut up pool noodles as a fun toy during bath time!
- Hurdles- Crawling under for the little ones and going over for the older! Great for motor play!
- Stick or Bat – Hitting balloons or balls with the noodle is great for visual perception, eye-hand coordination and gross motor play!
Other ways I’ve used the pool noodle not for play.
- Bumper- Any sharp corners or hard edges cut the noodle in half and use it as a bumper along the edge!
- Car Seats – Having trouble getting the car seat level? I know we have! We used a pool noodle to solve our problem!
What’s your favorite way to utilize the pool noodle? Be sure to share your ideas!
64 thoughts on “The Many Ways To Play With A Pool Noodle”
I love pool noodles – they’re so versatile! I especially love your tunnel idea, which is great for crawlers and older kids too!
Thanks for coming by! I think they are such a fabulous toy! I think I need to go buy more 🙂
Never dealt with a pool noodle out of the swimming pool. I must try that.
Yes you must! I use them more out of the pool then in than in the pool!
You are much more creative than me, thanks for the ideas!
Hope that you get to try a few out!
Great low-budget ideas.
Yes low budget is practically the best part! I love a deal!
There are also different shaped pool noodles that you can cut and use to stamping with finger paint!
I love that idea and can’t wait to use it with my little man!
I’ve used them as bumpers/padding, but thanks for the additional ideas!
Thanks for stopping by! We are using them around my home for the bumpers and padding right now!
Be sure to buy different color pool noodles so you can use them for patterning too.
Great Idea! I never thought of that!
Love the ideas for pool noodles. They are cost effective and have so many uses. Thanks for the ideas!
Thanks for coming by!
We got pool noodle lacing in a busy bag swap, and it’s awesome!! 🙂
Some great ideas! Who knew such an inexpensive toy could be so versatile! Going to try a couple of these ideas for sure!
Good luck hope you have as much fun with them as we do!
Who knew there were so many uses for the pool noodle. Thanks for the ideas.
Thanks for stopping by!
I love to use them for sword fights! They are a great investment and I too have used them as bumpers.
Fun I bet the kids love that!
I cut the pool noodles into a variety of thicknesses and allow the kids to make things using golf tees to attach the parts to each other. Pushing/pulling the tees within the foam strengthens fingers using the pincer grasp and the kids have fun creating as well.
Great idea love it!
So creative. I like the tunnel idea. And I never thought to use them as a wedge before.
Thanks for reading!
I love all the fun play ideas! I actually have one cut into four pieces inside my fall/winter boots so when they aren’t in use they don’t fall downwind you don’t get creases!
Oh that’s an excellent idea! I’ll have to try!
Cool ideas! The only thing my kids have used them for out of the pool was to “hit” each other 🙁
I didn’t realize there were so many great uses for pool noodles. I need to buy some more now.
One of my favorite dollar store deals! I use one cut to 6 inches in length and split on one side as a door stop on the side of the door. Keeps little fingers from being squished, older ones from slamming the door, and Momma not locked in/out somewhere. 😉
We will be trying the hurdles idea! Thank you!
Great ideas! I could imagine them like wickets across the yard – maybe connect some to run through and some to crawl through.Thanks!
Love the tunnels
Oh I really love the tunnels to crawl thru! Carter would love that!
I saw an idea on pinterest to spray paint the pool noodles brown and make cut-outs so they will stack together to make life-size lincoln logs! SO fun!
oh my gosh love it!
Oh my gosh Debby GREAT idea! My kids will love it!
Had no idea there were so many uses for noodles.
I had no idea a pool noodle could have so many uses I am going to subscribe to this blog as there are heaps of great ideas on here. Thanks
Thanks for stopping I’m glad you like the blog!
Oh I loved pool noodles as a kid! My nephew love to use them as well!
If you had different colors that were cut up, it would be a fun way to work on patterns as you laced them.
Yes love the different color ideas!
We’ve done limbo with a pool noodle at a birthday party. Great outdoor water toy!
I love that idea too! Just wish I was better at it!
I love the idea of cutting a pool noodle in half and using it as a race track!
Such a fun idea!
This used to be my favorite pool toy. Nice to know that there are other uses for it because they don’t cost an arm and a leg!
I have many fond memories of using these as a child. Mine had dragon heads and little hands and feet sticking out of them too.
This is another awesome idea. This will keep my daughter entertain for a while. WHO KNEW!
These are some great ideas
how cute! I am going to set this up for the little ones at our next pool party!
Who would have thought there were more things to do with them, than swim 🙂
Pool noodles are the first summer clearance item I head for..they can be repurposed into so many items
Ingenious!! So many great ways to use such an inexpensive toy!
Recently I cut mine in 3rds, then in half so I could stick them on the top of the doors around the house so my little ones (who love to open and shut doors) don’t smash any finger 🙂 LOVE the ideas on this post!
This reminds me of a post I pinned last year with tons of fun ideas for pool noodle play. I REALLY need to buy some this year and actually put some of these great ideas to use!
My favorite summer activity is going to the beach.