It’s hard to believe that football season is just around the corner. The teams are already in training camps and the news is already reporting on the upcoming season. Football is a great theme to incorporate into gross motor play. A fun way that I like to incorporate football into gross motor play is through the football relay.
Needed: A Football (fun but not necessary) and Relay Cards (You can grab these in the Football Movement Bundle)
- Kids get into teams of 4-5 people.
- The kids line up in their teams
- Child one starts the relay.
- He or she carries the football one end of the room (gym, field, sidewalk etc.) picks up a football card and returns back to their team.
- The child who just completed the relay tags the hand of the next student in line. Some children may participate in the relay twice in order to collect all of the football cards.
- When student has completed the relay they sit down.
- Play continues until the first team has completed the relay and all team members are seated.
- (Optional) The team must try to spell out the word football to win.
I also played this game with my preschool aged child as a game of one. Since it was a game of one we didn’t play as a relay, but a gross motor learning game. He would race to get the letter with the ball. He carried, kicked and walked with it between his legs. When he returned with the football letter he would identify the letter for me and go after the next. He had a lot of fun doing it! As fun as this game is relay style it can be modified!
More Motor Skills
Other ways to play include:
- Moving the football with your feet.
- Carrying the football.
- Hopping on one foot holding the football.
- Jumping with the football.
- Knee walking with the football.
- Crab walking with the football.
- Crawling and moving the football.
- Walking with the football between your legs.
Get this game and a whole variety of more football games when you get the Football Movement Games! These are great for the Super Bowl and football season! The best part is they get in that much needed physical activity!
I WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU