It’s hard to believe that football season is just around the corner. The teams are already in training camps and the news is already reporting on the upcoming season. Football is a great theme to incorporate into gross motor play. A fun way that I like to incorporate football into gross motor play is through the football relay.
Needed: A Football (fun but not necessary) and Relay Cards – Make them or grab them in my shop.
- Kids get into teams of 4-5 people.
- The kids line up in their teams
- Child one starts the relay.
- He or she carries the football one end of the room (gym, field, sidewalk etc.) picks up a football card and returns back to their team.
- The child who just completed the relay tags the hand of the next student in line. Some children may participate in the relay twice in order to collect all of the football cards.
- When student has completed the relay they sit down.
- Play continues until the first team has completed the relay and all team members are seated.
- (Optional) The team must try to spell out the word football to win.
I also played this game with my preschool aged child as a game of one. Since it was a game of one we didn’t play as a relay, but a gross motor learning game. He would race to get the letter with the ball. He carried, kicked and walked with it between his legs. When he returned with the football letter he would identify the letter for me and go after the next. He had a lot of fun doing it! As fun as this game is relay style it can be modified!
More Motor Skills
Other ways to play include:
- Moving the football with your feet.
- Carrying the football.
- Hopping on one foot holding the football.
- Jumping with the football.
- Knee walking with the football.
- Crab walking with the football.
- Crawling and moving the football.
- Walking with the football between your legs.
Do you like the idea of combining football and movement? Love this game? You can get it along with several other games in my Football Movement Games pack. This pack is full of fun ideas to incorporate football and movement into your day. Along with the Football Relay, this pack includes the Touchdown Dance, Race To The End Zone (Dice Game), Roll and Move Dice Game with a football theme, and Touchdown Dice.
What’s Even Better is that you can grab this and even more football when you buy this in a bundle! The bundle also includes Football Matching With Moves and Football Brain Break Cards! Don’t miss this chance to save!
I WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU